Cellar Practices

Grapes were whole bunch pressed in our pneumatic press on a champagne programme – very long and gentle pressing. 30% of the base wine was fermented in 3rd fill French oak barrels and allowed to go through malo-lactic fermentation, while the other 70% lay on the lees for 9 months before it was blended with the lightly wooded portion. After a controlled 2nd fermentation in the bottle to create the magical sparkle, an extended 26 month period of yeast contact to ensure maximum development.


Made in French traditional manner, bottle fermented. Complex, crisp, elegant.


Winemaker:  Pierre Wahl                         

Viticulturist:  Neville Dorrington

Residual sugar:  7.5 g/l

Acidity:  6.8 g/l

pH:  3.03

Alcohol  12.8 %

Appelation   Tulbagh

In the Vineyard

Soil  low yielding well drained vertical schale / schist  Aspect  easterly

Trellis and bush vines.

Tasting Notes

TThis  Lengthy bottle fermentation ensures a fine bubble with lovely freshness and hints of lime on the nose. On the palate expect an exciting fine mousse with an explosion of tangerines. Great brioche and complexity leads to a long elegant finish. A classic MCC.


100% Chardonnay


Grapes were night harvested, picked by hand to retain flavours. Yield 6.1 tons / ha

Ageing Potential

At least 15 years after vintage

Serving Temperature

Recommended to be served at 13ºC

Download PDF